Mumpreneur Monday: Getting the most out of Conferences by Catherine Oehlman
1. Have a 30 second introduction prepared. It just needs to summarise who you are and what you do in a friendly way.
2. Have a 1-3min spiel ready too! If your 30 second intro is well received you may be asked to share more about what makes you and your biz unique.
3. Think about who you want to connect with before you get there. Make sure you know their first name and the name of their biz. Use social media sites to help you recognise contacts you are yet to meet IRL. (On that note, make sure your own social media profile pics are nice clear images of your face so that others can recognise you too! Don’t put up a glamour shot unless you plan on being glamorously made up all weekend...)
4. Ask questions even if you think they are silly. You probably won’t look silly at all, but IF you do – isn’t it better to look silly for a few seconds than stay silly for months, or years, still not knowing the answer?!
5. Take notes. Don’t tell yourself you’ll remember later – you probably won’t.
6. Don’t put yourself down, or talk yourself up too much. Neither will help you to engage meaningfully with new contacts.
7. Take lots of business cards. If you’re just starting out, make up some free ones online with your basic contact details.
8. Give. Come ready to give to others, and you’re sure to get a whole lot back in return. Give information, give offers of help, give ideas, give encouragement, give a smile!
9. Wear clothes and shoes that make you feel confident, but are still comfortable. Nothing worse than being so distracted by your aching feet that you can’t concentrate.
10. Relax and enjoy yourself. Your kids are being lovingly cared for, so allow yourself this time for personal growth and a little fun!
What would you add at #11? Anything I missed...? See you there Mumpreneurs!
Catherine Oehlman (aka SquiggleMum) is a mother, teacher, writer and award winning blogger. You can find Cath squiggling about a range of topics close to her heart on her own blog and in many other places online and in print. She was the 2009 Top AusMumpreneur and will be presenting a workshop at the 2010 conference. http://squigglemum.com
Read more about the 2010 Mumpreneurs Conference here
This is a guest post for 'Mumpreneur Monday', if you'd like to be a guest blogger please email us with an idea for an article! Articles should be relevant for 'mumpreneurs' in some way. E: firstname.lastname@example.org